Sunday, October 25, 2009

Safety at the Rodeo

I went to a rodeo in Mesquite, Texas last night and had a good time. I enjoyed the beef brisket, sausage and fixins' too. I also found it interesting that some of the riders took safety precautions, while others did not. Bull riding is a very dangerous sport. I watched as rider after rider was thrown from a wildly kicking bull. The fall was always hazardous, but I also watched as some riders were bounced about by the bull while still on board. One in particular took a nasty bouncing and fall resulting in unconsciousness. He walked away, but at what cost.

Anyway, some of these brave men have taken to wearing PPE. That's right, not just a cowboy hat to stave off head injury. I saw some of them wear protective helmets similar to those worn by motorcycle riders. I also saw some of them wearing kevlar vests - you know, like bullet-proof vests. They said that it won't protect from broken ribs, but does prevent punctures and softens - at least a little - the blows.

I wonder when PPE will become necessary for this hazardous sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment