Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tragic Death of a Safety Director

On 7 February there was a gas plant explosion in Middletown, CT. Tragically, 5 people were killed in that explosion. One of those people, Chris Walters, was the Safety Manager for Keystone Construction and Maintenance Services.

Like many of us in these difficult economic times, Chris was working a long way from home. In November of last year, Chris had been laid off after 6 years as Safety Manager for Hunt Construction. I remember how delighted Chris was to have landed his new position after only about six weeks. He hated being away from his family, but like most of us in the safety profession, he loved what he did for a living and went where the work was found.

I first met Chris about 10 years ago when he worked with Martin K. Eby Construction in Florida. He was working on the Co-Generation Power Plant in Sanford, Florida. After that, we kept in touch - usually through Facebook. Apparently, the explosion happened when one of the subcontractors purged a gas line. The incident is under investigation by several agencies, including OSHA.

Chris leaves a wife and 3 children in Missouri. It is ironic that he was killed while working to keep workers from being hurt or killed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. He leaves a big hole in our safety family.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that. It is really not easy to loose a friend. That is exactly why I always tell my friends to always be safe in whatever job they have. Me, I always have my PPE and I always take safety courses such as osha 10 and osha 30 as they are one of the tools I can use to make sure that the workplace is safe for me and my co workers.

    ReplyDelete